- Circle and semicircle: no waistband, in a fluid material. Both points are very important, unless you want to acquire tent-like proportions.
- A-line: no waistband, or a small waistband worn at natural to low waist.
- Wrap: soft diagonal drape across the belly and hips at low waist.
- Straight: small or no waistband, worn at natural or low waist, with tops that hit high hip (a longer line is created that way).
What Body type As should look for in their skirts:
- Fluid fabrics, that can drape but not cling (lightweight knits, for instance, would cling), or firm, but not stiff. Matt, not shiny.
- Hemmed to knee length, or just above the ankle for medium height to tall women.
- Detailing should be avoided. Anything creating a focus of attention is best reserved for her tops. That means no appliqués (unless tonal, or in the same colour, or few, or placed diagonally, if you insist on them), horizontal or oversized patterns.
- Monochromatic or tonal color combinations to create a balanced silhouette.
|Best skirts for Body type As: Circle Skirt by Caroline Grant. This outfit creates an unbroken line from head to toe through a tonal combination of colours. The circle skirt in a fluid fabric is visually light, so it does not add volume to a Body type A's lower body. Additionally, all detailing and accessories are concentrated on the upper body, including the envelope purse, worn under the arm.|
Modcloth It's School Skirt / Toast Sartene Top / MaxMara Weekend Cosmos Leather Blazer / Mat & Nat Nirvana Ikat Handbag / Charles by Charles David Cory Boots / Burberry Modal and Cashmere Scarf / Kenneth Jay Lane Gold Tortoise Link Necklace / Alexis Bittar O'Keeffe Matte Gold Scarab Brooch .
|Best skirts for Body type As: A-line Skirt by Caroline Grant. Although there is a plaid in the skirt, it is very subtle and helps to draw the line up and down, towards the polka dot top and the boots. Additionally, the line of the legs is made slimmer (a concern with Body Type As), with the vertical lines created by the laces.|
Hobbs Selina Top / MaxMara Weekend Cosmos Blazer / Jigsaw Tartan Skirt / Burberry Orchard in Jacquard Handbag / Hispanitas Cordones Boots / Aspinal of London Driving Gloves / Linea Bow Deatil Trilby Hat / Lily and Lionel Python Scarf / Rossana Fani Isabella Necklace / Estée Lauder Pure Color Lipstick in Red Tango / Revlon Nail Lacquer in Scarlet Chinois.
|Best skirts for Body type As: Wrap Skirt by Caroline Grant. Body type As can afford some contrast between top and wrap (when the jacket is off), as the solid coffee black of the skirt minimizes hips and the silk blouse has a lot of visual interest, between the colour (toffee) and the detailing (the bow). Nude hosiery or the exact match to the shoes and skirt (the darker brown: you may need to carry a shoe with you to find a pair).|
Vero Moda Nia Skirt / Salvatore Ferragamo Hazelnut Quilted Leather Jacket / Burberry Orchard in Jacquard Handbag / Chie Mihara Nerito Shoes / Black Lily Spar Jennifer Scarf / Modcloth To You Cloche Hat / Alexis Bittar Geometric Bangle Bracelet / Alexis Bittar Tartan Bangle Bracelet / Anton Heunis Marvelous Maharaja Earrings / Estée Lauder Pure Color Lipstick in Scarlet Siren / Nars Nail Lacquer in Dovima.
MaxMara Fedra Skirt / Hobbs NW3 Double Collar Top / Lavenham Southport Jacket / Marc by Marc Jacobs Front Pocket Hobo Handbag / Söfft Gijon Shoes / Jules B. Wool Pam Beanie Hat / Faliero Sarti Sand Scarf / Grandoe Kitty Touch Leather Gloves / Kate Spade Three-Strand Necklace / Estée Lauder Pure Color Lipstick in Red Tango / Nars Nail Lacquer in Dovima.MORE?
Follow the label Body type A to see their best dresses, trousers...
This post contains no affiliated links.
This post was first published August 12th 2012. It has been edited and re-posted May 13th 2016.