What is broderie anglaise?Broderie Anglaise ("English embroidery", in French) or eyelet lace is a fabric in which small round or oval holes (also called eyelets), either overcast or buttonhole stitched, form a pattern. Embroidery stitches surround the holes, further adding to that pattern.
J.Crew Embroidered Eyelet Tank / Alice and Olivia Fringed Tweed Jacket / L'Wren Scott Khaki Wool Pencil Skirt / Burberry Blaze Handbag in Degradé Duchess Satin / Manolo Blahnik Bow Pumps / Dolce & Gabbana Printed Silk Scarf / Hervé van der Straeten Hammered Gold Leaf Necklace and Earrings / Tom Ford Lipstick in Scarlet Chinois / Tom Ford Nail Lacquer in Narcotic Rouge.
The maximsElegant and grown up versus girly and frou-frou, so:
- Dark colours (black, navy) or white (your white: ivory, off-white, optic white...). It doesn't matter if the racks, or even the runway shows (like Louis Vouitton's), are chock-full of girly pastels: those shades are very hard to wear and they are never grown up. Bright or even neon colours, combined with border embroidery, are not a good idea either.
- Simple cuts in well-structured constructions. Also, as broderie is quite see-through, any piece should be lined, or worn over some kind of camisole.
|Hepburn Ostrich Handbag by Caroline Grant. The dress is a basic but extremely cute eyelet navy A-line than is universally flattering and has a pretty neckline. The lines of the handbag (the classic Aspinal of London Hepburn bag), shoes, and coat are very 1960s, but the the print keeps it modern. The Orla Kiely coat is made of a thick silk that makes it have a strong protagonism. [Style: Ladylike with a twist].|
Hobbs Cowburn Dress / Orla Kiely Ottoman Seaview Print Coat / Aspinal of London Hepburn Handbag / Hobbs Miriam Bow Patent Pumps / Oscar de la Renta Seaweed Ring / Dara Ettinger Adelaide Earrings / Yves Saint Laurent Lipstick in Corail Légende / Tom Ford Nail Lacquer in Corail Divin.
- A dress, either a sun dress or a shirt dress.
- A top: tank, or long-sleeved shirt.
- A skirt: simple lines, grown-up colours.
- An unexpected piece: like a jacket or coat.
Huishan Zhang Fox and Wool Blend Embroidered Eyelet Jacket Jacket / Hobbs Ladder Blouse / Jaeger Cotton Twill Trousers / L.K. Bennett Leola Patent Handbag / L.K. Bennett Cannes Laser Cut Court Shoes / Lola Rose Matt Rose Quartz Necklace / Lulu Frost Circe Drop Earrings / Tom Ford Lipstick in Nude Vanilla / Tom Ford Nail Lacquer in Pink Crush.