The icecream cone effect and how to avoid itI finally gave in to a very popular Swedish way of dressing and brought myself around to buying a pair of skinny jeans. Skinny jeans are initially for those with slim legs (not my case), but when you go everywhere by bike and it's around 0°C and lower everyday, they are a must if you don't want to wear thermal lined cargo trousers every single day.
Also, skinny trousers are ABSOLUTELY ubiquitous at the moment, so you may want to give in to this trend or just find it convenient.
The "icecream cone efect" is the visual effect of wide hips narrowing slowly down to the ankles, which makes the hips look all the more wide. The idea is to achieve balance:
A form fitting bottom garment should be balanced with a loose top
... and additional visual tricks.
... and additional visual tricks.
How to wear skinny pants: Two ways of getting away itThe TOPS. You can successfully avoid the icecream cone efect by using a long top. It should reach around an inch below the widest part of your hips but not longer: that would make you shorter. As skinny pants leave nothing to the imagination, there may be situations where you need the coverage.
Your first option is a long, flowy CARDIGAN, in a different colour from the top, as it will create two vertical lines along the body.
- Body type As should choose a cardigan that has a substantial neckline (ie. shawl) and that subtly recreates the line of the waist. This works well if you are you either longwaisted or shortwaisted, creating the illusion of perfect proportions.
- Body type Bs' waist is always an asset, so use a belt. Try it over your top or over both your top and your cardigan, with the top tucked in or not to find the perfect proportions.
- Body type Cs with a full middle will benefit from the vertical lines mentioned above and a soft shoulder line.
- Tall women can get away with a caftan length cardigan and horizontal colour blocking.
Missoni for Lindex Leather Trousers / Raelson Gold Lurex 60's Trench (vintage ) at 1stdibs.com / Chesca Ribbed Cardigan / Hispanitas Handbag / Hispanitas Booties / Witchery Basic Scoop Cami Top / Kenzo Blue Elephant Scarf / Le Boudoir Noir Brass Cuff Bracelet at etsy.com / Oscar de la Renta Knot and Tassel Earrings / NARS Semi Matte Lipstick in Heat Wave / NARS Nail Lacquer in Dovima.
Your second option is a nice long JUMPER, which is right on trend now, but not a baggy, shpaless one.
- Body type As should not choose long and straight jumper, as it will mold to their lower body and accentuate its width (check your rear view in the mirror and see for yourself). Choose instead one that creates a blouson effect with a bandeau piece around the hips and a flattering, shoulder-widening neckline.
- Body type Bs need not to loose the line of their waist, so they should choose a form-fitting silhouette (but not tight) like the one below.
- Body type Cs can benefit from a medium to thin long jumper with a soft shoulder line.
- Petites should not choose a thick long sweater, they will look swamped by the material.
Esprit Push Up Jeans / Rick Owens Dafne Sweater / J.Crew Duffy Duffle Coat / Joan Shepp Cable Knit and Leather Gloves / Hispanitas Glitter Green Handbag / Hispanitas Glove Green Shoes / Marni Brooch / Mawi Pretty Tough Tube and Spike Earrings / Yves Saint Laurent Lipstick in Corail Légende / Yves Saint Laurent Nail Lacquer in Corail Divin.
A long BLAZER is the third way to get away with skinny pants, with the same length and caveats as before.
Ted Baker Feather Jacquard Suit / Michael by Michael Kors Twinkle Jersey Cowlneck Top / Lulu Guiness Print Haircalf Clutch Handbag / Lanvin Patent Loafers / Ted Baker Sequin Cape / Katherine Alexander Amber Quatro Cuff Bracelet / Mawi Scarab Brooch / International Concepts Golden Earrings / NARS Semi Matte Lipstick in Heat Wave / NARS Nail Lacquer in Dovima.
The BOOTS. A pair of boots has a surprisingly balancing effect. Try a pair in the same colour as your pants to achieve maximun leg length.
You can also try a pair of substantial pumps or booties (a slight platform would help) with a thick heel (not stilettos).
Söfft Bianca Boots / Vila Kann Coat / Ted Baker Celo Corduroy Cargo Trousers / Witchery Fine Rib Boat Neck Top / Hispanitas Cuero Handbag / Karen Millen Leather Jeans Belt / Black Navy Cashmere Purl Stitch Beret / Joan Shepp Cable Knit Leather Gloves / Zara Flower Scarf / LineaLux Multistrand Coral Necklace/ Jamie Joseph Chalcedony Ring.