Trends offer...Trends in general, and colour trends in particular, are just opportunities to stock up on what your already know goes well with your silhouette, complexion, and personal style, and the chance to try something new and see if you can incorporate it into your wardrobe. When a colour trend doesn't suit you, there are still ways of getting away with it.
...You disposeWhen you have (as you should) a wardrobe full of basics in neutral shades, accessories are another way of adding colour, texture, and interest, instantly updating it and taking it through the next season.
If you like a colour that is on trend, buy it doesn't look good on you, there are ways to use it.
- Jewellery. You can add a statement necklace, provided it is surrounded by a sea of a colour that suits you: over a polo sweater, or a crew neck or a (mock) turtle neck. Add a pair of earrings that include the colour, but it's not the main one, or you have long hair and it will stand out against it.
- Leather items. Get a handbag, shoes, and/or a belt in that colour, on its own or mixed with other colours that are flattering to you. In the case of shoes, I have to say that, if you don't look good in a colour, your feet will neither. Obviously, it's not the same thing a whole sandal in colour and a shoe worn with hosiery. The effect will depend on how bad the colour is on you: for example, beige and metallics like bronze or copper look pretty terrible on olive skin, it makes it look shallow, or worse, not clean. Just check that it does not. Gloves are OK when worn with any length of sleeves if your skin does not show.
Zara Blazer / Pink Tartan Leopard Pencil Skirt / ACNE Diane Top / Louis Vuitton Monogram Fascination Lockit Handbag / L.K. Bennett Selina Shoes / Kate Spade Dotz Bib Necklace / Amen Leather Orchid Brooch / Anton Heunis Jet Black Ring / Tom Ford Lipstick in Black Orchid / Estée Lauder Nail Lacquer in Purple Velvet.
Azzedine Alaia Virgin Wool Dress / L.K. Bennett Street Cardigan / Etro Handbag / Calvin Klein Annie Shoes / Etro Earrings / Pieces Jolanta Bracelets / Estée Lauder Pure Color Lipstick in Scarlet Siren / Estée Lauder Nail Lacquer in Pure Red.
Even if you want to... No-go items
- Sunglasses have to be a flattering colour: they frame your face.
- Scarves, unless you intend to use them surrounded by flattering colours: for instance, under your lapels or (artistically) hanging from the handles of your handbag.
- Makeup, for the same reasons as above. One of the worst mistakes you can make. You may get away with nail polish, but that will depend on how bad the colour is on you.
H&M Jacket / Ralph Lauren Lace Ruffle Blouse / Michael Kors Antelope City Shorts / BCBGMaxAzria Handbag / L.K. Bennet Petal Shoes / Issa Silk Twill Scarf / Erickson Beamon in the Mood for Love Earrings / Lover's Eye Brooch (antique) at 1stdibs.com / Marc by Marc Jacobs Party Girl Bracelets / Estée Lauder Pure Color Lipstick in Scarlet Siren / Estée Lauder Nail Lacquer in Pure Red.