- Hem it so you don't sweep the floor, it's sloppy to have a dirty hem. How one can have a fishtail in a maxi dress (unless on a red carpet) and not to sweep the floor with it is beyond me. Avoid any irregular hems, unless it is a scarf hem, sloppy designers shouldn't be rewarded with your purchase and it looks cheap.
- You will probably need to add a belt for maximum definition in your upper body, as most maxi dresses are loose-fitting. Place it below your bust (Body type A), or at the slimmest part of your waistline, but not in a colour contrasting with your dress (that would create an unflattering horizontal line).
- Don't wear boxy items with you maxi dress: go for something cropped, tailored (a denim jacket), or fitted (a cardigan).
- Avoid wearing oversized, slouchy handbags with a maxi dress. It's better to carry a handheld small clutch or envelope, or a shoulder or across the body handbag in a small or medium size. Reserve other types for the beach.
- Shoes: flat open sandals, like gladiators, or a flat peep toe slingback with a small wedge. Also, strappy, high-heeled sandals, but no pumps or boots at any moment.
|Black Foo Dogs by Caroline Grant A scarf hem dress (which seems to be in need of some ironing) introduces the yellow that continues as acid lemon: a cropped jacket and the accessories (the envelope handbag and the two resin bracelets). Shoes, necklace and belt continue the black and gray and offer some definition.|
Maxi dress SOLD OUT Other dresses by Full Circle / Romwe Yellow blazer / Kite Sandal, SOLD OUT Other by shoes by Hobbs / Statement necklace SOLD OUT Other necklaces by Kate Spade/ Lara Bohinc Patent Apollo Belt / NARS Cosmetics Lipstick / Revlon Nail Enamel, 91 SEK /Peony Shoulder Bag SOLD OUT Other shoulder bags by LK Bennett / Wedgwood 'Dynasty' Salt Pepper Shakers / Lindex Armband
|Scarf Maxi Dress by Caroline Grant. A scarf dress (the front part) introduces a geometric element into a paisley pattern: DO check it is straight under the belt. No sleeves and the gladiator sandals expose some skin.|
Dorothy Perkins Brown tribal print dress / / Temperley London Cropped leather jacket, / Below the Belt Twiggy Fringe Handbag, 2 850 SEK / Set of bangles above, SOLD OUT Other bracelets by Forever 21 / Set of bangles below, SOLD OUT Other bracelets by Witchery / House of Harlow 1960 Gold Black Hexagon Earrings / Silk Shawl SOLD OUT Other scarves by Faliero Sarti / Mango Touch leather belt / Sofft Gisella Sandals in Mocha / Estée Lauder Pure Color Red Tango lipstick / OPI Gold Shatter Nail lacquer
|Icecream Parlour by Caroline Grant. A fitted cardigan, across the body bag and colourful peeptoe flats take you anywhere on the weekend.|
More on maxi dresses?