Check the dress codeMany places have a dress code in big cities. In doubt, ask in advance or just be the best dressed in the place!
- 1 Evening skirt: think embellished (sequins...), lace, or glossy (silk, lamé).
- 1 Pair of high-heeled shoes or embellished flats if you don't wear heels. Think satin, metallics, and/or embellished.
- 1 Evening shawl, to cover your shoulders.
- 1 Evening clutch.
- Your perfume. My advice: fill up an atomizer to the trip so you don't have to take the whole bottle with you.
- Your favourite (costume) jewellery to mix and match.
- Basic makeup: 1 lipstick, 1 lipgloss (with SPF, lips get burned too!) in nude or your red, Colours that wear well during the day and are easy to touch up (nude eyeshadow, natural blush...) and then glam up for a night out.
Dining out by Caroline Grant. Women in some big cities, like New York, dress to the hilt to go out at night, so bear it in mind.