Let's remember first what's the ideal for Body type Cs:
To soften the shoulder line, balancing it with their lower body, and to create definition at their waist, elongating their middle.
Other names for Body type Cs are: triangle, pear shape, or A shape.
How to achieve it?
- Not accentuating the width of their shoulders, choosing certain necklines and sleeves, and avoiding wide lapels.
- Avoiding details or bulky materials on the bust completely in the case of medium busted Body type Cs, but sparingly in the case of small busted Body typs Cs, like breast pockets or vertical pleating in light fabrics.
With that in mind... What are Body type B's best dresses?Tunic dress. This shape is great for a Body type C because her hips are narrow. Worn with flats or substantial heels, it hightlights her great legs.
|Best dresses for Body type C: Tunic dress by Caroline Grant. [Background image: Loretta watercolour by Stina Persson.]|
Dolce & Gabbana Silk Shift Dress / Burberry Belted Shearling Trench Coat / L.K. Bennett Hayle Handbag / Hobbs Jacqui Trim Court Shoes / Kate Spade New Yorki Give It a Swirl Triple Row Necklace / Alexis Bittar Dust Taered and Skinny Bracelets / Estée Lauder Lipstick in Modern Mercury / Estée Lauder Nail Lacquer in Smashed.
Shift dress. These dresses are perfect for work, and a perfect canvas for interesting accessories. Some diagonal draping or ruching to cammouflage a full middle is always a good idea. Worn with high heels, they are great silhouette lengtheners.
|Best dresses for Body type C: Sheath dress by Caroline Grant. [Background image: Paper Cut 23 by Stina Persson.]|
Red Valentino Ultimate Shift Dress / Burberry London Wool Cashmere Double Breasted Trench Coat / Orla Kiely Glossy Claret Leather Holly Handbag / J.Crew Viv Patent Flat Shoes / Tory Burch Opera Gloves / Miu Miu Cameo Necklace / Anton Heunis Jet Black Ring / Chanel Rouge Allure Lipstick in Pirate / NARS Nail Lacquer in Dovima.
Coat dress. Choose a construction that is slightly fitted, straight, or A-lined, with a small collar and lapels, worn with high heels or boots.
Orla Kiely Walnut Birdie Coat Dress / Marni SS2013 Handbag / Chie Mihara Verbana Patent Spot Boots / Burberry Ruched Bow Belt / Aspinal of London Button Gloves / Hobbs Faux Fur Stole / Dickins & Jones Cloche Hat / Amanda Pearl Gobstopper Earrings / St. Erasmus Brooch / Tom Ford Lipstick in Black Orchid/ Tom Ford Nail Lacquer in Black Orchid.
Styling tips for Body type Cs
- Hemming dresses at knee length or shorter, to show off great legs.You may avoid going over 2 inches above the knee after forty (forty-five, tops), even if you still have them.
- Choosing deep V or U necklines.
- Elongating the torso with thin belts and ribbon ties at the waist. This works well with both average and short-waisted type C women, and creates an illusion of more curves. A sash tied loosely at high hip works also well with dresses with a straight structure.
- Choosing soft, draped fabrics like cotton, wool, or silk jersey, soft suede, or cotton sateen.
- Avoiding detailing over her bust that adds volume and/or texture, like breast pockets, pleating, ruffles, because it can make the upper body look too busy. In general, the fuller a Body type C's bust is, the less detailing should be there.
- Choose the right underwear under dresses, so her bra doesn't show when she moves and she gets no VPLs (which is can be an issue if her bottom is flat-ish), so she should double check in the case of dresses for work.
These are styling tips for an average height Body type C, for specific styling tips for Petites click here, and for Tall women, here.
Stina Persson's ArtworkStina Persson is an illustrator based in Stockholm, Sweden. I found her work at Polyvore, and fell in love with her take on fashion illustration and the techniques she uses, especially her paper cut pieces. You can visit Stina's webpage and have a look at her work. You can acquire her prints through three different sites: Gallery Hanahou, Wonderwall and Gallery Woo Shop.
Learn about this silhouette following the label Body type C.
This post contains no affiliated links.
"Best dresses for Body type Bs" was first published January 11th, 2013 in "The Red Lipstick. Own Your Style". It has been edited and re-posted on June 24th 2016.