Let's see some DOs (timeless, chic ways of doing floral prints) and DON'Ts (aging or, on the contrary, juvenile prints) of doing them.
- Choose a clean silhouette: minimal detailing like shirtwaist, wrap, or shift dresses.
- Prints in rich jewel tones, and vegetable and mineral colours.
- Combinations of black, white (off white, pale ivory), and gray.
- Hand painted (or that look like it) abstract florals, art inspired, and in unexpected colours.
Reiss Fenella Side Panelled Coat / Karen MIllen Blossom Print Dress / Bimba & Lola Arizona Handbag / Chie Mihara Clotilde Shoes / Valentino Garavani Scarf / Ted Baker Faux Fur Hat / Diane von Furstenberg Two Tone Opera Gloves / Dolce & Gabbana Necklace / Carolina Herrera Earrings / Tom Ford Lipstick in Black Orchid/ Tom Ford Nail Lacquer in Black Orchid.
Suzannah Japanese Clock Flower Dress / Hobbs Invitation Hartington Jacket / Hobbs Invitation Cavendish Clutch Handbag / Badgley Mischka Monika Evening Shoes / Bajra Sequin Ball Trimmed Scarf / RJ Graziano Black Crystal Drop Earrings / Maxi Cocktail Ring / Tom Ford Lipstick in Nude Vanilla/ Tom Ford Nail Lacquer in Toasted Sugar.
Phase Eight Samantha Dress / Mango Jacket / Lulu Guinness Black Patent Eva Handbag / J. Crew Viv Patent Flats / Aspinal of London Chain & Pearls Chain Scarf / Betteridge Trianon Ebony Cuff Bracelet / Amanda Pearl Gobstopper Ivory Earrings / NARS Semi Matte Lipstick in Heat Wave / NARS Nail Lacquer in Dovima.
L.K. Bennett Marcia Boots / Erdem Leta Trench Coat / Todd Lynn Wool Dress / Chanel Caramel Quilted Handbag / Celine Leather Opera Gloves / Helene Berman Ribbon Bow Cloche Hat / Anton Heunis Tiger Eye Agate Necklace / NARS Semi Matte Lipstick in Heat Wave / NARS Nail Lacquer in Dovima.
- Anything quaint or sweet (girly or in pastel colours), or that would look good if it were a child's garment.
- Anything literally retro, especially if the retro print was worn by you in its day.
- Any tropical island prints outside that setting, and then only if for a very casual occasion, if you insist.
- Any garden prints like Laura Ashley's or "Little House on the Prairie", in realistic colours (read: green leaves and pink flowers, for instance).