A twinset or matching shell and cardigan. Go for a close fit in both items, it's more modern. Instead of accessorizing with pearls (a classic, true, but of a conservative sort), try something more edgy. Always consider your twinsets an investment, so buy the best quality you can afford: wool, cashmere and blends with silk, and you will be wearing them forever. For that reason choose neutrals or really flattering colours from your seasonal palette (Spring, Summer, Autumn, or Winter).
Button-down shirt and blouses. Close-fitting, but not gaping open at the bust. Try it on, check that it does close around your chest (move in it opening your arms and flexing them), or go a size up and have it taken in anywhere you need to. Don't close of the buttons up to your neck, it's to uptight.
- Always choose natural fibers, as polyester and poly-blends are not breathable and cause smells.
- Slinky, clingy, and stretchy is a sure recipe for showing every detail of your upper body and bra.
- Check your white tops every season, as they turn gray or yellow with time.
- If the material is see-through, wear a camisole in your nude (see below), or in a colour matching your top.
- Keep things classic and simple: no wacky or loud prints.
- No kiddy stuff (Hello Kitty, Disney characters...).
- No inappropriate messages: either rude or political.
What to wear under your tops
- A T-shirt bra under anything the least bit close-fitting. Have it professionally fitted if you are not sure you are wearing the right size (both bust and cup measurements).
- A camisole with a built-in bra in your nude shade (depending on your skin colour, that can vary from ivory to cocoa)
DOS and DON'TS of topsDOS
Do go for classic silhouettes like the ones mentioned above. Avoid overworked constructions or detailing.
Do choose your most flattering colours for your tops, not just neutrals.
Do wear a T-shirt bra: no seams, molded cup, in a nude tone (or a camisole with a built-in bra). Keep it new so it fulfills its function.
Don't show cleavage or your navel.
Don't wear sheer tops if your bra shows in the least, no matter how pretty the bra is.
Don't wear mesh, it's tacky (anywhere and everywhere, I may add).
Don't wear kiddy stuff.
Interested in looking professional and ready for a promotion? Follow the label Work essentials.